I am going to give you the best piece of advice on potty training that you will ever get.
Ready?
.
.
.
Wait for it.
.
.
.
Here it comes...
.
.
.
Wait.
Yep, that's it. Wait. Wait until your child is ready. Because if they're not ready, all you are going to get is sore knees from cleaning up after them!
I knew someone who started at 2 and set the timer for every 15 minutes and every time it rang, she went and got her child and took them to the bathroom. It took her months to train him.
I am not the type that is willing to clean up mess after mess after mess. It's just not worth it to me. I left my boys in diapers longer than most...3 1/2 years on average, but when they were ready, it took 2 days and we never had accidents after that. Well, never is pretty strong. How about 1 every 6 months or so? Even I have accidents that often! LOL
Seriously. For instance, with the Teenager, I had the potty out, he knew what it was for, but he just wasn't interested. Then one day, he turned to me and said, "I have to go potty." We ran to the bathroom, he went and I gave him candy. He wore a diaper to bed that night, but stayed dry, and that was the last diaper he ever wore. And it was that way with all 3 of my boys.
Now The Princess was a little different. She was 2 1/2. But again, she was the one who was ready. We had 2 accidents the first day, and very, very few after that.
I know that not everyone is willing to wait so long to train their children, but that is what worked for me.

3 comments :

Kelly said... Reply To This Comment

I appreciate this post because it confirms what I've been thinking. I have no problem waiting for Meredith to be good and ready. I don't really mind diapers that much. Maybe that's weird, but there are worse things in the parenting world that changing a poopy bum. :)

A Book Bagg said... Reply To This Comment

I needed to see this today. My daugther now three annouced one day at 19 months old "I no like dirty." She was completely potty trained (except overnight) in less than 5 days. I was dumbfounded. My son who is now approaching that age has become the center of much potty- training-debate among the teachers at school & I've been telling them that he is nowhere NEAR ready like his big sister was. I totally plan on having a 3-year-old boy in diapers unless he proves me wrong, but like Kelmarie said...there are far worse things than changing diapers!

Jenny Nymoen said... Reply To This Comment

I completely agree. However, if you happen to wait and wait and wait until the child is FOUR, the operative word becomes BRIBE. Worked like a charm.

Post a Comment