I loved my ears double pierced.  I would wear a pair of small hoops in the top hole just about all the time. I know how weird it sounds, but I loved my second holes!

In October of 2000, President Gordon B. Hinckley, the Prophet and President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, more commonly known as the Mormon church, told the women of the church that we should only wear one pair of earrings.

I won’t lie.  I was devastated.  And then I tried to justify them by saying that I already had the holes, yadda, yadda, yadda.  And then I left them in. 

And then, a week or so later, I was talking to my mother-in-law.  She was in the Young Women Presidency in her ward at the time.  She told me that they were at the church watching conference when President Hinckley made that comment.  She saw a movement out of the corner of her eye and looked down the row at her young women.  She saw each and every one of them immediately reach up and take the second pair of earrings out of their ears.

I was so ashamed when I heard that.  I quickly took mine out and vowed from that point on I would always obey the prophet…the first time he tells me. 

2 comments :

Angie said... Reply To This Comment

Looks like I commented too soon! :)

charrette said... Reply To This Comment

Great story!

Post a Comment