I made these for Primary. I hate choosing kids for helpers because if I do it on my own, I will always pick my favorites (yes, I have favorites, but I will never tell who they are!). This is the fairest way I have found. I have all the children's names on the sticks, even the inactive ones.


I draw them from the "Choose Me" container. Then their stick gets put into the "Chosen" container. If they aren't there, their stick still gets put in the "Chosen." When every stick has been chosen, they all go back into "Choose Me" and we start over.


Everyone knows they are going to get a turn, so I don't have any problems. The younger ones struggle at the beginning, but they learn that they will get a turn. It is wonderful.

3 comments :

Jean said... Reply To This Comment

I remember my second grade teacher did this during read aloud time. Good job and good idea!

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said... Reply To This Comment

We do this too--but we divide them also by boys & girls so we can be sure we are being fair.

I also found that having a younger child be the one who chooses sticks out gives them one other way to participate and helps with the antsyness.

Mark and Kattie said... Reply To This Comment

That is a great idea, I did something like this when I was a teacher...but the containers were not nearly as cute :)

Post a Comment