136 operating temples at the end of 2011
Elder Jeffrey R. Holland
· Parable of the Laborer – workers hired at different times during the day, but paid the exact same amount
· Why should you be jealous because I choose to be kind?
· Don’t be hurt or envious when good fortune comes to another person
· The race we are really in is the race against sin
· Envy is a mistake that just keeps on giving
· Coveting, pouting, or tearing others down does not elevate your standing
· The formula of faith is to hold on
· Don’t hyperventilate about something that happened at 9:00 in the morning when the Lord is trying to bless you at 6:00 in the evening
· Surely the thing God enjoys most about being God is being merciful
· There is nothing you have done that cannot be undone.
· Even if you are the last laborer at the 11th hour, the Lord of the vineyard still stands beckoning
· To the husbands and fathers: Awake and arise from the dust, and be men. Brethren, step up.
· It is never too late, so long as the Master of the vineyard says there is time.
Elder Robert D. Hales
· Parable of the Prodigal Son
· We should strive to come back to ourselves and to the ones we love
· How do we strengthen our desires to repent, become worthy? How do we help our youth?
· We become converted and spiritually self reliant as we serve others, worthily take of the sacrament, become worthy to obtain a temple recommend
· Ponder on the atonement during the sacrament, not just think about the ordinance
· We can help youth experience the sacrament by studying the atonement
· Worthiness to hold a temple recommend gives us the strength to obey our temple covenants
· All of us have the duty to assist the youth by helping them become self-reliant
· The saddest words are “What might have been”
Elder David S. Baxter
· Message to single mothers in the church
· Whatever your circumstances, how blessed are you
· You cannot change the past, but you can shape the future
· Your children will grow up and call you blessed
· In the kingdom of God, there are no second class citizens
· To the weary mother who thought she could not do it and wanted to come home to HF just for one night, she heard Him say, “You cannot come to me now, but I can come to you.”
· Single parents, I testify that Heaven will smile upon you
Elder Ulisses Soares
· Whatsoever a man soweth, that will he reap
· Let us not be weary in well doing
· In order to avoid bad influences, we must be continually sowing in the Spirit
· Let all bitterness and wrath be put away from us
· The promises from the Lord are conditional upon our obedience
· If we will stay on the Lord’s side of the line, we will be protected
· Do my actions place me in the Lord’s or the enemy’s territory?
· Banish any influence that would take our focus away
· You can’t be right by doing wrong, you can’t be wrong by doing right
Elder Quentin L. Cook
· The world has become more secular
· We recognize how busy you are, we know it is common to render long hours of devoted service
· This service extends through the entire membership
· God loves all of his children, He desires all of them to return to Him
· It is not up to us to judge
· Rescue those who have become inactive
· The family is the most important unit in all of eternity
· What we are speaks so loudly that our children may not hear what we say
· Praying with our children may be more important than any other example
· 2 Nephi 25:26
· “And it came to pass”
· Reading the Book of Mormon every day with our families: Persistance is the answer, and a sense of humor helps
· Reading the Book of Mormon: Regardless of the challenges you face, do not become discouraged
Elder Richard G. Scott
· The Holy Ghost communicates important information
· Those who have gone on are aware of us and our struggles
· The separation is temporary
· Why does the Lord want us to pray and to ask? Because that is how revelation is received.
· Be cautious with humor. A good sense of humor helps revelation, loud laughter does not.
· Careful quiet speech, good health practices can all help revelation
· Revelation can also be given in a dream.
· Recording can help enhance remembering revelations
· When we serve others, the Lord can piggy back directions to our lives
· If you feel God is not answering your prayers, ponder the scriptures, then look at your lives and see if He has not already answered you
· Should choices be wrong, they can be rectified through repentance
· As you continue to live righteously, you will always be prompted to know what to do
· Communication with our HF is not a trivial matter, it is sacred