My kids are off track for two more weeks. Fortunately we bought a "Mom & Me" pass to a local place that has a bunch of those giant blow up things. Do you know what I am talking about? The pass is only good from 11 - 3, but it's perfect to let them get some steam out. So as I sit here listening to the screams of dozens of children...oh wait...okay that's better, as I listen to my Pandora radio on my phone with my earphones shoved into my ears as tight as they will go to block out the screams of dozens of children, I feel the need to ponder life.

I cannot fathom the fact that I have a 16 year old. I remember being 16. I felt so grown up and mature. Didn't we all? Apparently all teenagers live under the same delusion!

Yesterday for The Teenager's birthday, I took cinnamon rolls over to his play practice, and as I passed them out to 43 kids, nearly every single one of them said thank you. I know because I consciously paid attention to it. In fact, I only recall one not saying thank you. I was so impressed! I wish I could call every one of their moms and tell them. They should all be proud. I know I have worked and worked with my children to teach them manners.

Speaking of manners, we are still working on them, only it's elbows on the tables and napkins on the lap now. I haven't just started teaching them these things, but I am getting more strict about it. I mean I have a child that will be taking girls out and trying to impress them!

Speaking of taking girls out, I want to take a poll. When I was dating, my mom taught me to always ask the boy what he was going to have, so I would know my price range. Did any one else learn this? What other rules/tricks did your parents teach you? Ask your hubbies too, because I want to know what I should be teaching my boys.

Okay enough rambling. Thanks for sticking around to the end!

3 comments :

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

i was taught that too to ask what he was having. i was also taught to sit in the car till he opened my door even if he ran off without me. i hate it when the guy never says thank you for letting him take you out. i always say hey thanks for taking me out but not for him. i also hate it when they dont have things planned out there are so many books out there to help you plan. i hate iot when you get in the car and he says so what do you want to do? it's annoying.one more thing i hate it when it's the same old thing that everyone does. dinner and a movie. i did get alot of free movies but you cant talk and get to know each other. isnt that what dating is all about?the dinner was always good but do mini golfing sledding temple square go to one of theose paint a nug places there is so much to do but somehow it's always dinner and a movie.

Frank, Heidi and Family said... Reply To This Comment

Yes, I never ordered extravagantly- I thought I was always very frugal. Most of the boys I went on dates with worked very hard for their money and it wasn't just given to them- so I tried to be conscious of that fact.
I had friends who would just sit in the car until the boy came around to open it for them. If I noticed that my date made this effort in the beginning then yes I would let him (and yes it is the proper thing to do) but I wasn't rude and stubborn about just waiting for him to be appropriate.
I was told to never kiss on the first date, unfortunately I didn't obey that one.
I was told to only group date when I was first 16, I didn't obey that one either (although that didn't come from my parents- that was ALL my YW leaders).
Let's see... what else. Tell Taylor what makes a date fun and one that will stand out and not boring is when there is constant conversation (of course at the appropriate times- not during a movie). I told my sister, who was very shy at the age of 16, if she knows how to start and carry on a conversation that is not only about her but also about him it will really impress the guy. She has told me numerous times how glad she was I told her that. Unfortunately, this was something I had to learn myself.
In these times that "going dutch" is common it's a misconception to just assume however, that the guy will pay. Now, this is more advice for girls (but might help if it's a girls choice dance)- always carry money with you- (also in case there is an emergency).

Melissa said... Reply To This Comment

I'm willing to bet everyone said 'thank you' for the cinnamon rolls, because they were ginormous and even better than Grand Americas rolls! I think you're up for mom of the year award for making so many.

Post a Comment