I used to lie a lot when I was growing up.  It was so easy.  However, I'm not very good at it.  My eyebrows raise and I feel like a deer in the headlights!  Our new favorite show is "Lie to Me."  I am learning so much and my kids are finding it harder and harder to get away with lying.
Not that they were any good at it to begin with.  I can always tell when they are lying.  Many times I will let them lie over and over just to give them the chance to tell the truth.  It's so hard.  And I absolutely HATE being lied to.  It really makes me angry!
Last week The Doctor and I went to Barnes & Noble.  I love bookstores.  We were going to just look around, but I ended up with an armful of books.  Big armful! 
When we were checking out, The Doctor applied for a teacher discount card, but the discount is only books for the classroom.  So we paid and went home.  When I got home, I looked at the receipt and they had given us the teacher discount on all my books that were definitely not for his classroom. 
The books sat in their bags (yes, I needed multiple bags) on the floor for 5 days while I debated back and forth in my mind.  I even tried to put them on the shelf, but I couldn't even take them out of the bags.  Finally, I decided that I am not going to H-E-double-hockey-sticks over books! 
So yesterday I took them back to the store.  When I explained to the clerk what had happened, she smiled and said that last week was their Teacher Appreciation Week and instead of the 20% off classroom books, we got 25% off all our books.  They do this several times a year, and we had just happened to buy the books when it was going on.  She thanked me for being honest and sent me on my way.
As I walked out of the store, my heart was light and I had a spring in my step.  I came home and put the books on my shelf and I can read guilt free. 
So tell me your experiences with lying...did you resolve it?  Any regrets?  Let's dish!

2 comments :

Angie said... Reply To This Comment

What a good story. :) I'm a horrible lair so no great stories to share.

Frank, Heidi and Family said... Reply To This Comment

I did have a problem lying when I was younger too. I know I wasn't good at it but I remember each day in Kindergarten I would tell the kids my dad did something different for his job. One day he was a fireman, the next a policeman. Finally, the competition got so heated I finally told everyone he was a raisin (as in the California raisins). My b-day was in June and I didn't get baptized until August because my mom and dad said I needed to realize that I had a problem with lying and needed to stop before I got baptized.

Post a Comment