I love having a camcorder. 
I love to go back and watch when my kids were little and how cute they were.  Seeing their chubby legs and hearing their giggles always brings tears to my eyes.  I didn't know how easy life was then. 
I love watching as they grow up...rolling over, crawling, walking, talking, riding a 2-wheeler, Easter, Christmas, birthday...  Every moment is to be treasured and enjoyed.
WAIT...Not the band concert!  Argh!  It was painful to sit through live!  Oh, wait!  There it is again!  They held the concert twice to accommodate more people, so I had to go to both concerts.  And I had to tape them both.  
I feel the need to video tape everything they do.  Even if they do it twice.  I don't want to watch it twice.  I am not sure I want to watch it once!  LOL  So how do I delete one of the concerts?  And which one do I delete?  The one where he played perfectly, or the one where he goofed up and made a cute face? 
And am I ever going to watch that soccer game from 3rd grade?  I just don't see me sitting down in 20 years saying, "Let's watch a bunch of 9 year olds run up and down a field!" 
However...
My family didn't have a camcorder growing up until I was in high school.  And one of our favorite things to watch when we get together is when my dad video taped the morning of a first day of school.  My older brother was starting his senior year and my little sister was starting kindergarten.  It is so funny to see us interact and what we are wearing and what we are concerned about.  For instance,
Mom: "You need to iron your shirt."
Me: "Mom, it's fine."
Mom: "You really need to iron it. Kids might make fun of you."
Me: "No one is going to laugh at me because my shirt is not ironed."
Annoying younger brother: Points at me and starts to laugh hysterically. 
Me: Roll my eyes and wonder what on earth I did to deserve such a twit for a brother.
Now, I know this narrative doesn't do it justice, so if you really want to see it, come on over.  It makes for great TV!
So I guess what the point of this post is that if you have a camcorder, turn it on more.  Don't just tape the games and concerts.  Tape the every day stuff.  Who cares if the house is a mess.  My dad even taped the contents of the fridge.  But in doing so, he got the kitchen and the decorations and things that brought back lots of memories.
And you get in front of it more.  Or if you hubby does the taping, get him in front.  Those are the memories your kids will watch over and over.  Trust me. 
Now go pick it up and tape something! 

0 comments :

Post a Comment