I have kept a daily (almost) journal since the 8th grade.  I never used anything fancy, just a simple spiral notebook.  I need to go back and type them up, because the ink is starting to fade.  Yes, add that to my list of things to do! 
2009-09-16 12.28.39
Anyway, in 1998, I started typing up my journal.  I am on the computer a lot, and it was just easier.  I print them out at the end of each year and bind them so they are similar to my handwritten ones. 
2009-09-16 12.29.00
I love to go back and read them.  I have gone through and done some editing...even so far as ripping entire pages out.  There are some things that my posterity does not need to know!  LOL 
2009-09-16 12.27.51
These are my journals on my shelf in my scrapbook room.  Would you like to hear a random entry?  Too bad!  LOL  I used a random date generator on the Internet, but every date it gave me, then journal entry for that date was so boring! 
Last year I typed up my Mom's old journals and I loved reading them.  She went through struggles just like I am.  She yelled at her kids and felt bad about it, just like me.  I wish I could have read them years ago.  I think I might have felt better about myself as a mother.
So go write in your journal.  If you haven't started one, start today.  Your kids will love you for it!

4 comments :

Mark and Kattie said... Reply To This Comment

I so need to hear this. I have wanted to get better at writing in my journal. Especially since I have such a bad memory! I am impressed with your journal keeping.

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said... Reply To This Comment

I used to journal all the time, until I got a blog. Now I'm afraid to read what I wrote as a teenager....

charrette said... Reply To This Comment

I've been a steady journal keeper since 7th grade. I think it's actually done a lot for my writing ability. And my mother's journal from that same time period is one of my richest treasures. Wonderful that you're transcribing it now.

charrette said... Reply To This Comment

I've been a steady journal writer since 7th grade. Unfortunately that one is lost, but the one form 8th grade is a treasure trove! I also have my mom's journal from that same time period, which is one of my richest treasures.

Post a Comment