Remember how I told you how much I hate to weed?  Yes, it's true.  I hate to get my hands dirty at all.  So as we have been working on our backyard, we decided to do raised flower beds, using the same technique as the square foot gardening.
It was The Doctor's idea to use rocks for the walls instead of wood.  And would you like to know how much we paid for these big rocks?  Rocks that cost .87 each at Lowe's?  We paid NOTHING, except sweat and tears.  They all came from our backyard as we tilled before putting down dirt and sod.  Every. Single. Rock.
100_7347
We put landscape fabric underneath, just like we did with the garden, and then used the rocks for walls and filled in with the dirt/peat moss/vermiculite mixture.  We have some flowers, some plants, and some herbs.
100_7372
I love how they turned out.  Very natural looking.  And watering?  I water every day when I water the garden.  It takes about 10 seconds on each flower bed.  So simple!
100_7374
This is the front of my house.  I have daisies and iris's thanks to my next door neighbor, Melissa!  And the rest we are filling in with wildflowers.  My goal is to get so many flowers in there the weeds can't grow.  I love how it is looking.
100_7377
So it's all still a work in progress, but after 5 years of living here, I am starting to enjoy my yard!

1 comments :

Devri said... Reply To This Comment

beautiful!

Post a Comment