I hated breastfeeding!

My body, my choice.

I tried, I really did.

Child #1 lasted 3 1/2 months.
Child #2 lasted 6 weeks.
Child #3 lasted 3 weeks.
Child #4 never got the chance.

I hated sitting there. I hated being leeched on. I hated everything about it.

I loved bottle feeding.

I always snuggled with my baby. I never propped the bottle. My husband and my children could help me.

Does that mean my way is the right way? The only way?

NO!

Does that mean your way is the right way? The only way?

NO!

I was a much better mother when I wasn't breastfeeding.

And don't try to tell me that breastfed children are healthier because child #2 had 4 ear infections during the 6 weeks he was breastfed. Child #4 has had 1, count them, 1 ear infection in her whole life.

But does that mean that my way is the right way? The only way?

NO!

I love to hear about how breastfeeding came so naturally to you, or how you struggled with breastfeeding but was able to make it work, or how you chose to bottlefeed and are still suffering intense guilt from the feelings that maybe, just maybe you should have tried a little harder, but it's too late now.

But back off of me and open your mind a little and let's talk.

Can't we just try to get along?

6 comments :

Kelly said... Reply To This Comment

Camille, I really hope I've never said anything about breastfeeding that offends. It's never been my intention. Just as there is no one "right" way to have a baby, there really isn't a "right" way to feed that baby either. People have to do what's best for them! I know I talk about breastfeeding a lot, i.e. in my blog, in person. Now that we've worked out the kinks (which sucked), it's what's "right" for me, but that's just ME. :)

The Mom said... Reply To This Comment

Kelly, I so admire you (and all women, especially my sister) who stick it out and figure it out. I think they are amazing. I didn't have problems with my babies latching or anything like that, I just hated the whole experience! So don't worry, you haven't offended me at all!

ashlieaxandike said... Reply To This Comment

Ack! Stop talking about breastfeeding! It makes my boobs feel like the milk is coming in again! lol

Honestly-do it however you want. You have now inspired me for a blog post...coming soon!

Angie said... Reply To This Comment

I breastfeed Brooklyn for her first year. Not sure how I did it sometimes, but that was what worked for me. However, now that another one is coming along and I've seen all the benefits of bottlefeeding from other friends, I'm seriously not too excited about breastfeeding this one.
I never liked the way people looked at me when I breastfed in public (with a blanket covering of course) so I tried to hide when I did it. I really hated how excluded I felt sometimes.
The mothers room at church is still a nightmare for me. I hate that I have to sit and stare at other mothers while I try to feed my baby. There has to be another way! Anyway, there is good and bad to both. I don't care either way as long as the baby is fed and happy!

The Mom said... Reply To This Comment

Angie, I hate that people stared at you when you were in public. I think women should be able to breastfeed where ever they want, and need, to. But it's the women that breastfeed with no covering and let it all hang out that give it a bad rep!

Kelly said... Reply To This Comment

There's a setting somewhere on blogger that allows you to get the comments via email (which you might already do). I just respond to them by sending an email to that person.... I don't know of a better way!

I didn't think I'd offended you - I'm just so paranoid about having people like me... :) Really, I feel like all I talk about is breastfeeding these days, because that's all I've got going on...I bet people are sick of me!

I saw a woman breastfeeding at Target yesterday, and I stared. Not because I was appalled, but because I was so impressed! She just sat down on the display shelf in one of the kids isles and did it!

Post a Comment